Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Saturday Portrait

Hat from Tonner's "Trip to Saratoga"; dress from Franklin Mint's Raintree County.

Because one of my greatest wishes is for some doll company to consider making clothing from different historical periods. And there are actually a lot. So many themes, so many stories  -- from history, from literature, from fashion, from royalty.  There seems to be little regard for these things now with Marketing more important and -- understandably more important in making money. Just a thought this Saturday, loving old historical or period pieces can be such a lonely endeavor.


This doll has made many appearances in this blog. She's a practice doll from Tonner's Mother's Portieres, her hair uncurled and face underwent some revisions. This is the last of those.  I wanted her makeup to be lighter and her lips not too red. Her hair is held well by a snood.  I noticed that Vivien Leigh's eyes are naturally slanted allowing lashes to give them a lift. The Tonner Scarlett doll however has a more almond shaped eye sculpt -- the right eye (where the arched eyebrow rises) has a shape un-symmetrical with the left one -- in that the lower part of the eye is lower. To create the symmetry one has to draw more shadows. 


I needn't explain much about the dress as you've seen it many times.  I hope you like the portraits.





8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jael!!! Thanks for passing by!

      Delete
  2. Hello from Spain: This doll is majestic. I love her look and her pink dress. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marta! The Pink dress is from Franklin Mint's Raintree County -- the hat is from Tonner's Trip to Saratoga.

      Delete
  3. What a stunning combination of gown and hat! I miss Franklin Mint dolls so much! I have been toying with the idea of what an historical separates collection would look like (something to make being at work more endurable). What pieces would you suggest? there would have to be maximum interchangeabilty and yet complete coordination. Bodices and skirts like in the nineteenth century for sure. Keep posting such gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Citronyella!
    I think that if the pieces stick to neutral colors there will be lots of chances for mix and match. Hats, skirts and bodice that can be interchanged would be interesting. The late Victorian and early Victorian eras are nice periods with nice pieces. One can do an all whie collection, then a Pastel Line, a Blue line, Black and White, all Black line. Oh if only doll manufacturers would consider a doll line with these theme. But of course the modern fashion dolls sell more. I admire Mel Odom for making a cohesive line for a doll. Gene Marshall was a good example of a doll that made market impact. I wish Tonner -- I hope Franklin Mint does come back with full force. In my opinion they made doll dresses that matched their pricing. I hope they do come back with a doll with articulation and better hair . Interchangeable wigs are also nice in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Raphael, she is lovely! Sometimes, I think you must get tired of my admiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get tired of your posts Aunt Lou. They make me smile halfway around the world -- isn't that amazing? Thank you for your time.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.